With the newest release of JailBreakMe 3.0 (known as Jailbreakme saffron) you will be able to jail break iOS 4.3 devices and older. If you want to jail break the newer iOS devices there are other ways which we will discuss soon. So getting back to our topic, jailbreaking with this free tool just requires a few simple steps to be followed and your device is jail broken with the use of your in-built mobile browser Safari. With the Jailbreakme 3.0 version you will only be able to break following iDevices
1. iPad 1G (iOS 4.3 through iOS 4.3.3)
2. iPad 2G (iOS 4.3.3)
3. iPhone 3GS (iOS 4.3 through iOS 4.3.3)
4. iPhone4 (iOS 4.3 through iOS 4.3.3
5. iPhone4-CDMA (iOS 4.2.6 through iOS 4.2.8)
6. iPod touch 3g (iOS 4.3, iOS 4.3.2, iOS 4.3.3)
7. iPod touch 4g (iOS 4.3 through iOS 4.3.3)
Things to know before jail breaking your iDevice.
There are advantages and disadvantages of doing so and it would be better if you do your research before jail breaking your device. Some of the advantages are you can use thousands of apps from the internet not available on app store; customize your home screen in a way apple doesn’t allow and much different things you can do. Disadvantage include you lose your warranty by installing third-party app, you will have to jail break every time a new update is there and the third party apps might have malicious program which you are unaware off. In short you loose the security that Apple has built in their software.
1. Determine your iOS version and see if its compatible with the JailBreakMe 3.0. To check your iOS version you can go to Setting > General > About, and you will find your version number there.
2. Back up your device – Plug in you phone/device in the computer and open iTunes and you can back up using iTunes. You can read a detailed article on how to back up and restore iphone using iTunes here.
3. Turn off your passcode screen lock off in case you have it enabled. TO do that you go to Setting > General >Passcode Lock > Enter Your Passcode > Turn Passcode off.
Steps to Jailbreak
1. Go to your device’s web browser Safari and open the website http://www.jailbreakme.com
2. You will see the Cydia app with “Free” written next to it. It will just look like an App store app. If your device is not the supported version it will notify you and your jail breaking will not work.
3. Tap the “Free” button and it will turn to “Install” button just like installing an app from the app store.
4. Tap the “Install” button.
5. It will start downloading the Cydia app. Wait patiently till it finishes the process.
6. Now you can open the Cydia app and choose the “User” mode and tap “Done”.
7. You are done jail breaking your iPhone and browse through it just like going through your App store and you can browse through all the apps there.